Gap between my teeth

I’ve got braces, but they’re almost done and I’m noticing some gaps between my teeth. Is there a way to “fill in” these gaps?

Catherine J. from Biloxi


There are two ways to fix gaps: dental bonding and porcelain veneers. With dental bonding a composite material is applied directly to your teeth to make them appear wider. This method works best with small gaps. It is done free-hand, so you’ll want to make sure you use an expert cosmetic dentist. Don’t just use your average family dentist who calls himself a cosmetic dentist, or you’ll be dissatisfied with the results. The second method is for larger gaps, or if you are interested in changing more about your smile than just  your gaps. Porcelain Veneers can change the color, shape, and even the length of your teeth. Again, as with the bonding, you’ll want to go to an expert cosmetic dentist.

One way to locate one is to do a search on On that site, they recommend cosmetic dentists in each state. A dentist can’t just request to be listed or merely pay to advertise on that site. Dr. Hurley is a recommended dentist for New Jersey. To do that she had to send in a list of her qualifications as well as samples of her work to validate her artistry.

This blog is brought to you by New Jersey Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Allyson Hurley.

White spot lesions after braces

I had braces and I guess I didn’t brush very well because I have these white lesions. How do you recommend I treat them? I’m disappointed because I was looking forward to having straight teeth, but now I’m just embarrassed.

Amy S.- Bigelow, AR


Having braces is challenging. It is recommended that you brush every time you eat, even if it is not a meal. If you don’t, food will stick to the brackets and before you know it you have ugly white or sometimes even brown lesions. Generally, you can fix those with dental bonding. However, if the lesions are extensive bonding won’t be enough and you’ll need to get porcelain veneers.

This blog is brought to you by New Jersey Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Allyson Hurley.